SharePoint is a website application and platform created by Microsoft. The software enables intranet, content, and document management. Sharepoint is highly customisable and allows easy sharing of company information by employees. It allows system, process, and workflow automation capabilities to improve workplace efficiency.
Sharepoint comes in 5 delivery models:
- SharePoint Online: Is a cloud-based model, for businesses of all sizes. Instead of installing and deploying SharePoint Server on premises, a business can subscribe to an Office 365 plan, or the standalone SharePoint Online service.
- SharePoint Foundation: Is a free version of Sharepoint used for on premise deployment. Sharepoint Foundation enables collaboration of: Web pages, documents, lists, calendars, and data
- SharePoint Server: Includes all the features of SharePoint Foundation plus additional features and capabilities, including Enterprise Content Management, business intelligence, enterprise search, personal sites, and Newsfeed.
- SharePoint Designer A free program for designing, building, and customizing Web sites that run on SharePoint Foundation and SharePoint Server.
- SharePoint Workspace A desktop program that you can use to take SharePoint site content offline and collaborate on the content with co-workers, while you are disconnected from a network.
The SharePoint Wheel
Microsoft’s “SharePoint Wheel” describes the key outcomes that SharePoint enables:
- Sites: A site is a work environment. Once SharePoint is configured, these sites can be created without any requirement for technical knowledge.
- Communities: A community is a place for group communication. Communities are typically created around either shared knowledge, or shared activities.
- Content: SharePoint provides document management and storage for work items.
- Search: Look for relevant communities, content, people, or sites: search is based on keywords, refinement, and content.
- Insights: Information from any part of the organisation can be found inside useful contexts, providing information which can improve efficiency
- Composites: SharePoint enables no-code integration of data, documents and processes to provide hybrid applications.